Food waste accounts for about one tenth of the waste that Singaporeans generate. There's both good and bad news to the issue. The good - we are on the right track; we have reduced our food waste generated by 11% from 2019 to 2020. The bad - there is still more that needs to be done. But reducing our waste doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. There's fun to be had!
Join us and turn food waste to gold, as Edible Garden City’s trainers prepare you to upcycle your citrus skins into eco-friendly plant fertilisers and enzyme cleaners!
The virtual session includes a hands-on segment, where our trainers will guide you to make your own eco-enzymes. Eco-enzymes are made from fermenting citrus fruit peels (such as orange, lime, lemon, grapefruit) with sugar and water. These eco-enzymes are chemical-free, bio-degradeable and gentle on hands and the environment. They are commonly used to give our plants a little pick-me-up, but have uses beyond the garden as well! For instance, they can be used as cleaning agents or insect repellent!
Join us to learn how citrus peels that we typically discard can be used to create the multi-purpose natural enzymes. During the workshop, participants will learn:
- The process of creating eco-enzyme fertiliser and cleaner – from how to mix it and knowing when it is ready.
- Including tricks on how to speed up the process (it usually takes 3 months, but we have a secret ingredient!)
- About the benefits of going eco and creating natural fertilisers and cleaners with food waste.
- Tips and tricks for use around the house.
Participants are required to prepare a second-hand plastic container with a lid (those red-topped CNY cookie jars are perfect!), as well as any citrus peels you might have collected for the online session.
[To store citrus peels, try throwing them into a container in the fridge! This keeps them from rotting and smelling up the house.]
This workshop is recommended for young adults and adults aged 13 and above. Please note that the online class will be conducted in English. For the best experience, have 2 devices: follow the programme on a laptop/desktop and have a handphone on hand for tech support & to participate in the online games.
*Minimum 5 pax to start.
📆 26 June 2021, Saturday
⏰ 3pm to 430pm
🎟️ $38 / pax, including all taxes and materials
If you are a DBS staff member, check your staff intranet for a promo code.
💻 🍊 ♻️ 🌱 🖥️
(EGC Virtual Series) Upcycling Fruit Peels into Eco-enzymes
1. All workshop tickets are non-refundable.
2. Any exchange of workshop dates or participant names will be considered on case-by-case basis. Participants should inform us of any proposed changes at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 3 days before the actual day of the workshop.
3. In the case of no-show, late attendance or early departure, no refund, replacement, make-up or exchange will be made.
4. Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice at any time and at the sole discretion of Edible Garden City Pte Ltd.
5. Please ensure that all information provided to Edible Garden City Pte Ltd is accurate. Should any of the provided information be untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, Edible Garden City Pte Ltd will not be held responsible or liable for incomplete/failed delivery of the service/product.
Please download the application and create a free account on Zoom. Upon verifying your registration, our Events Manager will send you a URL link to access the online workshop, at least 3 working days before the scheduled workshop date and time (Singapore standard time).